Can Orbeez Kill You? Potential Hazards Of Eating Orbeez!

Can Orbeez Kill You? The Potential Hazards of Eating Orbeez!

Kidplayco is an affiliate website. If you purchase a product using our links we might be compensated. See Disclosure.

Can Orbeez Kill You? Medically Reviewed By Dr. Nicole Sandover.

Orbeez are squishy, squishy balls that come in a bunch of different colors. They’re cool and fun, and kids love them. 

Orbeez are made from a substance called superabsorbent polymer, which can absorb and hold large amounts of water.

But will Orbeez kill you if you eat them?

Well, the probability of dying from eating Orbeez is reportedly less than 0.5%, it is important to note that Orbeez are not meant to be eaten and should not be used as a food source.

In other words, Orbeez cannot kill you. While they may be swallowed and potentially cause a blockage in the digestive system, they are not poisonous and do not pose a lethal threat.

However, it is important to always supervise children when playing with small objects, but Orbeez should not be feared as a deadly object.

Health Risks of Water Beads: Can Orbeez Kill You?

Health Risks of Consuming Orbeez: Can it Kill You?

Orbeez are little colored beads that children play with for hours. Parents buy them for their children to play with and keep them in bowls and bottles around the house.

Despite the fun they can bring, Orbeez also comes with certain health risks associated with their consumption.

1. Risks of Choking.

Risks of Choking.

Orbeez are small, colorful beads that expand when exposed to water. They can be used for sensory play or in aquariums and fish tanks as decorations. While these may seem like harmless toys, they can pose a health risk if ingested.

Orbeez can also become lodged in the airway, which can cause shortness of breath if not treated promptly. Also, eating them can increase the of choking, a particularly dangerous situation for young children and those with dysphagia.

If you or your kid is experiencing the following symptoms after consuming Orbeez, seek medical help today.

  • Difficulty breathing or making sounds when trying to speak or cough
  • A feeling of something stuck in the throat or chest
  • A high-pitched noise or wheezing when trying to breathe
  • Bluish or purple skin color due to lack of oxygen
  • Rapid or weak pulse
  • Unconsciousness (in severe cases)

To prevent choking, it is essential to ensure that children are always supervised when playing with Orbeez and that they are not ingested. 

You may also like: What happens if a dog eats Orbeez?

2. Intestinal Blockage.

Intestinal Blockage.

Ingestion of Orbeez can cause intestinal blockage, resulting in abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and constipation. Due to their highly absorptive nature, the beads can expand when exposed to moisture or stomach acids which increases the risk of an obstruction forming in the digestive tract.

If a large enough quantity of Orbeez is ingested, the swelling can cause a blockage in the digestive system, leading to serious medical complications.

In addition, polymers present in Orbeez may also cause damage to the stomach lining.

3. Allergies.


Allergies to Orbeez are rare; however, some individuals may be sensitive or even allergic to them and their effects should not be taken lightly. 

These allergies may manifest in a variety of ways including a rash or irritation on the skin due to contact with the Orbeez.

Other symptoms include redness and itchiness around the eyes, mouth, and throat.

In more extreme cases swelling of the face and lips have been reported after contact with these colorful water beads.

Also See: What Happens if a Cat Eats Orbeez?

Can you be Allergic to Orbeez?

Allergic reactions to Orbeez are very rare, but they can happen. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include itching and swelling. If you suspect you are having an allergic reaction to Orbeez, you should seek medical attention and keep yourself at a distance from Orbeez.

Can Orbeez Cause Physical Harm?

While Orbeez are not intended to be ingested, they are composed of non-toxic material and pose little risk of physical harm.

However, as with any small object, it is possible that Orbeez could be swallowed, and this could lead to coughing or difficulty breathing.

Additionally, Orbeez are slippery and could lead to a slip-and-fall incident if not used with caution on hard surfaces.

It’s important to keep Orbeez out of reach of young children, who may be tempted to put them in their mouths.

Can Eating or Swallowing Orbeez Kill Toddlers?

It is important to note that eating Orbeez cannot lead to the death of toddlers. However, it is always important to supervise toddlers when they are around Orbeez as they can pose a choking hazard.

If swallowed by young children, the beads could get stuck in the throat or esophagus and cause blockage of airways if not treated quickly.

Additionally, some people may experience an allergic reaction from coming into contact with Orbeez which could lead to swelling of the throat or tongue and increase the risk of choking.


Eating Orbeez is not going to kill you, but it is probably a good idea to avoid ingesting them, and when the necessity arises, dispose of them properly.

Eating them in larger amounts may cause you to become sick, or at least feel extremely uncomfortable.

Additionally, it is important to keep Orbeez away from younger children who may be tempted to eat them.