Are Orbeez Toxic To Dogs? (Can They Eat Water Beads)

What Happens if a Dog Eats Orbeez? (And What to Do)

Kidplayco is an affiliate website. If you purchase a product using our links we might be compensated. See Disclosure.

We started to wonder if Orbeez pose a risk to dogs. It turns out there’s some things you should know about your dog and Orbeez. Are Orbeez Toxic To Dogs? We will find out!

If you are new one here, first of all we want to explain what it is Orbeez? Water crystals or water beads are alternatively known as Orbeez, with the latter being the brand name that brought popularity to this toy. These beads initially have a small size but can expand up to 100 times their original size when immersed in water. The reason behind this expansion lies in the highly absorbent polymer composition. Notably, this same polymer is utilized in baby diapers owing to its absorbent qualities.

So as a dog owner, it’s devastating to see your furry friend go through a scary experience.

Unfortunately, my dog recently ingested Orbeez while I was away from home and it was a heart-wrenching incident. I was unsure what to do and couldn’t find much information online about the relationship between Orbeez and dogs. Are orbeez toxic to dogs??

Honestly, I was anxious about my dog’s physical and mental health, and it was a difficult time for me. But after researching and consulting with my veterinarian, I was able to make my dog feel better and saved him from the potential dangers of ingesting Orbeez water beads.

So let’s cut to the chase – are Orbeez toxic to dogs or is it fine if they accidentally eat them?

Are Orbeez Toxic to Dogs?

Dogs are known to chew on objects, including toys, and sometimes they may accidentally swallow things they shouldn’t. If a dog swallows Orbeez, they can cause blockages in the digestive system, which can lead to serious health problems.

While Orbeez are not poisonous in themselves, they can cause choking hazards as well as intestinal obstruction if ingested by dogs. Intestinal obstruction occurs when an object blocks or partially blocks the intestines, preventing food and liquid from passing through.

This can lead to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and loss of appetite. In severe cases, it can even be life-threatening and require surgery to remove the blockage.

It’s important to remember that Orbeez aren’t poisonous but can be dangerous for dogs if ingested and that immediate action should be taken if the animal is showing any sign of illness.

What Happens if a Dog Eats Orbeez?

If you suspect your dog has ingested Orbeez, it’s important to be aware of the common signs to look out for.

Though Orbeez aren’t toxic based on their chemical composition but eating them can cause your dog to experience symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Some dogs may also experience a loss of appetite, dehydration, and lethargy because of the expanding polymer inside the stomach.

In severe cases, you may notice your dog coughing, gagging, or even choking if the Orbeez has become lodged in their throat.

Orbeez can also cause disrupt a dog’s gastrointestinal tract, which can lead to a variety of health issues. The beads can cause irritation and inflammation in the stomach and intestinal blockage, and can even lead to serious complications such as intestinal rupture.

My dog experienced some of these symptoms after he ingested Orbeez, and trust me, it was really hard to see him going through all of it.

Signs of Intestinal Blockage: when your dog experiences an intestinal blockage, noticeable symptoms emerge as the obstruction progresses. Numerous symptoms are associated with the gastrointestinal system.

These symptoms encompass vomiting and abdominal pain. The presence of a blockage may hinder your dog’s ability to defecate. Their stomach can become sensitive and painful to the touch, potentially eliciting whining or aggression when the area is touched.

In addition to gastrointestinal indicators, behavioral changes may manifest. These behavioral symptoms involve restlessness, increased whining, and a diminished appetite. Dehydration is another potential outcome of intestinal blockage.

How Soon Symptoms May Appear?

The onset of symptoms can vary depending on the amount of Orbeez ingested and the size of the dog. In some cases, symptoms may appear within a few hours of ingestion, while in others it may take a day or two for symptoms to appear.

It’s important to be vigilant and watch for any signs of illness in your dog, especially if you suspect they may have ingested Orbeez.

In my case, the symptoms appeared within a couple of hours and it was a very distressing time for me and my dog.

You May Also Like: How Big Orbeez Can Get

What Should You do if Your Dog Eats Orbeez?

If you suspect your dog has ingested Orbeez, it’s important to take immediate action.

  • The first thing you should do is try to determine how many Orbeez your dog has ingested and when. If your dog is showing signs of distress such as coughing, try to carefully remove any visible Orbeez from their mouth.
  • Then, contact your vet immediately. Time is of the essence in these situations and it’s important to act fast. I remember feeling so helpless and panicked when my dog ingested the Orbeez and not knowing what to do.

Also See: Can Orbeez Kill You

In the event that your dog ingests Orbeez, prompt action is essential to avoid potential complications. Ideally, induce vomiting within 1 to 2 hours using 3% hydrogen peroxide, administered at a rate of 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. Walking your dog can expedite the process, typically taking 15 to 30 minutes for vomiting to occur. If unsuccessful within 45 minutes, a repeat dose may be administered. Alternatively, a vet visit is strongly recommended, especially if you are unable to induce vomiting. Timely veterinary intervention, within a few hours of ingestion, may involve induced vomiting or diagnostic tests such as blood work, x-rays, MRI, or ultrasound to assess the possibility of intestinal blockage. Treatment options vary, ranging from natural passage and endoscopy to surgical procedures, with a good prognosis if addressed promptly.

When to Seek Veterinary Care if Your Dog Has Ingested Orbeez?

When to Seek Veterinary Care if Your Gog has Ingested Orbeez?

It’s important to seek veterinary care as soon as possible. Even if your dog is not showing any immediate signs of distress, the Orbeez can still cause blockages and other health issues.

Your veterinarian will be able to determine the best course of treatment based on the amount of Orbeez ingested and the overall health of your dog.

You May Also Like: Are Orbeez Toxic to Cats

Reasons Why Dogs May be Attracted to Orbeez.

Dogs are naturally curious animals, and Orbeez can be quite visually appealing to them. The colorful beads can also have an interesting texture, similar to chew toys as well as a smell that can attract a dog’s attention.

This is why it’s important to keep Orbeez and similar products out of the reach of dogs and to supervise them when they are playing with Orbeez.


How Can I Prevent My Dog From Eating Orbeez?

Always keep water beads out of reach of your dog. This means in a cupboard or on a high shelf. Water beads might not taste or smell great to a dog but this doesn’t mean they won’t try eating them.

Are Normal-Sized Orbeez Safe for Medium and Large Dogs?

Ordinary-sized water beads are generally not considered a threat to medium (e.g., Border Collie) and large dog breeds (e.g., Labrador). Chewing and swallowing normal-sized water beads typically pose no issues, as they usually pass through the dog’s system without complications.

Even if the water beads are ingested in their dehydrated state, swallowing them whole should still result in a safe passage through your dog’s digestive system. While they may expand in size within the stomach, they won’t reach their full size. If a significant quantity is consumed, your dog may vomit them up.

Despite these considerations, vigilance is crucial. Avoid leaving your dog unattended if you suspect it has consumed water beads. If you observe signs of gagging or persistent attempts to vomit without success, a visit to the vet is advisable.


So i hope after reading this article you know if are orbeez toxic for dogs?
As a pet owner who has gone through the experience of a dog ingesting Orbeez, I understand the fear and uncertainty that comes with it.

I hope that by sharing my experience and the information I have gathered; I have been able to provide helpful information for other pet owners who may find themselves in a similar situation.

By being prepared and knowing what to do in case your dog eats Orbeez, you can help ensure the health and well-being of your furry friend. I urge all pet owners to take extra precautions when dealing with Orbeez and similar products to keep their pets safe.